JISC Activity Data programme and Learning Analytics
A couple of things this week about the activity data projects that JISC funded last year as part of their Information Environment programme. I noticed that Huddersfield are going to be doing some more work on LIDP (the Library Impact Data Project) over the next few months. This phase two includes work on more data sources and a possible data shared service. The screenshot on the left lists the work they are planning to do. More details on their blog. It will be interesting to see how this goes.
On Tuesday this week we did a short lunchtime session for library and other OU staff on the work we did last year on the RISE activity data project. So I did a short presentation on what we did in the project, and Liz (@LizMallett) covered the user evaluation and feedback. We also had a presentation by Will Woods (@willwoods) from IET on the University’s work around Learning Analytics. Learning Analytics has now become an important project for the university and it is interesting to see how this moves forward in the next few months. There is a short blog post on the event on the RISE blog here that includes embedded links to the presentations on RISE.
Moving forward with Activity Data
Since RISE finished we’ve been looking at ways of embedding some of the recommendation ideas into our mainstream services. We’ve still been routinely adding EZProxy data into the RISE database. At the moment we are moving the RISE prototype search interface and the Google gadget across to a new web server as we are closing down the old library website. That should keep the search prototype running for a bit more time. It’s also a chance to tweak the code and sort out any bits that have degraded.
Our website developer (@beersoft) has been building some new features based on the ideas around using activity data. The live library website already displays dynamic lists of resources at a title level in the library resources section on the website http://www8.open.ac.uk/library/library-resources.
One of the prototypes takes the standard resource lists (which are at a title level) and shows the most recently viewed articles from those journals, using the data from the RISE database. The screenshot shows one of the current prototypes. So users would not only see the relevant journal title (with a link at the title level), but would also see the most recently viewed articles from that journal. For users that are logged in it would also be feasible to show the articles viewed by people on their course, or even their own recently viewed articles.
We’ve been starting to think about how best to present these new ideas on the website as we want to gauge user reactions to them Thinking at the moment is that we want to keep them separate from the ‘production’ spec services, so would have them in a separate ‘innovation’ or ‘beta’ space. I quite like the Cornell CULLABS or the Harvard Library Innovation Lab as a model to follow.